Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Let's hear it for the Chanteuse

According to an online dictionary, the word Chanteuse means a female singer, especially a nightclub singer. Here are some of my favorites:

Peggy Lee

Miss Lee could sell a song better than all of them. Even as a kid I understood what they meant by "sultry" when they spoke of her.



Ethel Waters

Miss Waters began in the 1920s, but her performance as Berniece in "A Member of the Wedding" is one of my favorites, especially when she did "His Eye is on the Sparrow." Breaks my heart each time I hear it.



Bette Midler

From the beginning, I loved Bette Midler's sassy style and humor. Her performances as DeLores Delago are a delight. What a great concept: a group of mermaids in wheelchairs.



But Bette can sell it like the best of them.



Edith Piaf sings her signature song, La Vie En Rose.



Judy Garland

Judy's life pain translated into much of her music. But her struggles made for golden moments for her fans.

No comments: