Friday, February 26, 2010

Dark Knight









Thomas Blackshear's Dark Knight from Ebony Visions,
sculpted by Mark Newman,
 issued 2006. Photo by C. David Claudon.
For the past few months, I've been working on retelling Thomas Mallory's Le Morte dArthur into modern English. I was fascinated, therefore, when I stumbled upon the gallery of sculptor Mark Newman, primary sculptor for Thomas Blackshear's Ebony Visions. As soon as I saw this piece, Dark Knight, I knew I had to have it. 

Newman's works capture attitude and vitality in beautifully realistic sculptures. Dark Knight is 16 inches tall. Sculptor's Corner states that he works with Super Sculpy/Super Sculpy firm gray and oil base clay (Chavant and J-Mac Classical Clay). [I worked with Super Sculpy when I was making miniature cats.] His textures and realistic detail are all excellently rendered.

Beautiful Life did a layout on him a couple of weeks ago and included many of Newman's originals. Note the jacket of the Tuskegee airman or the outfits of the two in Steppin Out.

The California-based Newman graduated from The Art Academy of San Francisco and has 19 years of professional sculpting experience. His website shows work in both bronze and resin. While he works in all sizes, he says he prefers 1/6 to 1/2 life size.

I first saw Dark Knight among the originals shown in Mark Newman's Sculpture Gallery. He does a wide range of figures and animals, but he shows a particular sensitivity to the African American image and attitude.

I was delighted to own one of his pieces.

Dark Knight can be found online at the Collection Shop and First Capitol Trading Inc.

No comments: