Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Scarf


About three weeks ago, a reclusive elderly woman, who lived in a garden apartment in the building across from mine, died. Normally I might not even have noticed. Most of the time her blinds were closed and in the five years I’ve lived here, I had only seen her a couple of times.

So how did I know she had died? One afternoon as I returned home I discovered that the dumpsters in the alley were neatly packed with books, magazines, years of TV Guides, cheap furniture, some clothing. When I walked out to my car the next morning, homeless scavengers had torn open all the bags and scattered everything they didn’t take—as if the bags were filled with cloth popcorn which had heated and burst.
Last week the dumpsters were filled again, this time primarily with clothing. [See above.] Again the scavengers attacked. And for four days, when I came home, a lone woman’s scarf lay in my path each time I walked into the building.

Do you believe that some part of us remains with items we have loved and used? I guess I do. And each day when I walked past the scarf, I felt haunted by my deceased neighbor. That’s why I picked up the lonely scarf and hung it up in my garage. Each time I see it, I think of my lonely neighbor. Everybody deserves someone to remember them.

2 comments:

darlingdivadurelle said...

I have had the most delightfull time browsing your blog and your web pages today. I stumbled on your web page today while doing a search on google for Egyptian dolls and found your charming paper dolls...thank you. I have enjoyed your scale models…as well wonderfully done.
Your story, your blog and web pages are delightful. I hope to share your pages with some doll artist friends.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.